Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 06:33:25 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.7R: no sound when recording with ffmpeg?

On 27 Oct 2002 23:51:57 +0100
"Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de> wrote:

GWK> Thanks Steve, that was it.  /dev/tuner0 was 0444, which oddly didn't
GWK> cause any error message from ffmpeg, but it didn't activate the
GWK> sound.

	I wasn't test for that error on the grounds that there may not
be a tuner or any audio (camera input for example) so it isn't a
failure if opening the tuner doesn't work. I've added a warning message
for the next update.

GWK> Hmm, the mplayer/mencoder from ports didn't want to grab at all when
GWK> I tried it in 4.6-R.  It said something about no matching colorspace.

	There are very few codecs (ie. divx only I think) in mencoder
that can handle the capture format used and there is (at the moment)
no support for switching capture format. That's the itch that got me
writing capture for ffmpeg in the first place :)

GWK> With ffmpeg, encoding as mjpeg and no audio compression, I can
GWK> capture full resolution with just occasional jerkyness.

	Nice, I have been getting great results (low CPU and no jerkiness)
with "-vcodec mpeg1video -me zero -intra -b 7200" on my AMD2000. Turning
on motion estimation pushes average CPU usage to 65% and at the peaks
I lose frames.

GWK> All this is with your recent one-line bktr patch for sync generation.

	Now that's the news I've been waiting to hear. That makes two
thumbs up and no complaints. I guess it's send_pr and hunt a committer
time :)

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun