Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:48:50 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        tg@award.de
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK port, anyone ?

> > > I seem to remember somebody complaining that there was no 'real' JDK-1.1
> > > available for FreeBSD. As I'm also a little impaired by the lack of a 1.1
> > > JDK, so I was wondering if somebody was currently working on a port.
> >
> > Actually, there *is* a JDK1.1 port available for FreeBSD

> I know about the port, I've seen it. Unfortunately it doesn't sport a
> debugger, even if it is only jdb.

In reality, having used almost *every* Java development environment out
there (including Cafe, VCafe, JWS 1.0, JWS 2.0, JBuilder, jdb, and
others too numerous to mention) there is no such thing as a *working*
debugger for Java. :(

System.out.println is your friend. :)

> using 1.0.2 or Linux JDK. Also, I was actually thinking of porting
> 1.1.5, if I can get that one from sun.

I just got my copy yesterday after sending in the non-commercial
license.

> > > - Any others that are interested in joining this effort?
> >
> > Sure, check out freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
>
> Yet another freebsd mailing list that I missed. Thanks. Will subscribe later.

This is a new one, so don't feel too bad.

> > > - Other comments and suggestions are welcone, of course.
> >
> > I'm currently building a JDK1.1.2 port using the patches posted about in
> > the java mailing list, but it won't be distributable due to Motif
> > licensing.  I hope to somehow fix that, but it just depends on the
> > weather.  If it's snows a whole bunch then I'll be outside playing it,
> > but if the weather is as yucky as it is now over Christmas (40 degrees
> > and brown) then I'll probably spend more time inside. :(

> Did you check if lesstif might work? I've found it quite useful. But of course
> lesstif break GNU emacs if you build it with lesstif, but that's probably not
> a comment on the stability of lesstif (Just to follow up another thread...).

The port I have that uses Lesstif breaks stuff all over the place.
Since I make my living doing Java work *AND* I have a Motif license, I
don't have time to mess with Lesstif bugs.  But, if/when I get a more
recent version ported I'll try to make a public version.

Nate