Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 00:59:27 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange Termcap behavior on 4.0-Stable

In message <39239474.F3BC619B@3-cities.com>, Kent Stewart writes:

> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> >
> > In message <3923113A.8D37A144@3-cities.com>, Kent Stewart writes:
> > > When I telnet to two of my systems and su to root. The terminal setup
> > > for ansi or cons25 goes away. For example, if I do a
> > > "/usr/src/release/sysinstall/rtermcap ansi" as root, nothing appears.
> > > If I exit and do it on my original login, I see
> > >
> > > ansi|any ansi terminal with pessimistic
> > > assumptions:co#80:li#24:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:
> > > bs:am:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=\E[C:up=\E[A:ce=\E[K:ho=\E[H:pt:
> > >
> > > This doesn't happen on my system with a buildworld of 10 May 2000.
> >
> > For the systems that you have the problem on, what date were they
> > CVSuped or built?
>
> This one doesn't work. It was cvsup'ed just before the build world.
> The world and kernel are from the same cvsup. Ruby was broken before
> this cvsup. I also cleaned /usr/obj (it had been linked before and I
> unlinked it) before I did the last set of builds.
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD ruby.kbs.com 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #2: Tue May 16
> 17:38:23 PDT 2
> 000     root@ruby.kbs.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/RUBY  i386
>
> These work but have been left alone because of the problem.
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD jade.kbs.com 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #11: Wed May 10
> 13:06:20 PDT
> 2000     root@jade.kbs.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/JADE  i386
>
> opal# uname -a
> FreeBSD opal.kbs.com 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #2: Sat May 13
> 02:47:42 PDT 2
> 000     root@opal.kbs.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/OPAL  i386
>

> > > Something has happened and it really messes up trying to edit from a
> > > telnet session as root. The setup for xterm's still works but I can't
> > > telnet in from a Window's system.
> > >
> > > This also messes up building sysinstall. The generated code for the
> > > ansi and 5 or 6 cons.... is totally bogus and kills the compile.
> >
> > What does tset - -S display?
>
> On Ruby as root
>
> ruby# tset - -S
> ansi
> ansi ruby#
>
> On ruby as user
> $ tset - -S
> ansi
> ansi
> ansi:co#80:li#24:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:bs:am:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=\E[C:up=\E[A:ce=\E
> [K:ho=\E[H:pt:$
>
> on jade as root
> jade# tset - -S
> ansi
> ansi
> ansi:co#80:li#24:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:bs:am:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=\E[C:up=\E[A:ce=\E
> [K:ho=\E[H:pt:jade#
>
> On Jade as user
> $ tset - -S
> ansi
> ansi
> ansi:co#80:li#24:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:bs:am:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=\E[C:up=\E[A:ce=\E
> [K:ho=\E[H:pt:$
>
> I thought Opal was broken but it looks like I could have been double
> [...]

After a cursory look at the commit logs and looking at the stock .cshrc
and .login, the only conclusion I can come to is that it must be
somewhere in your dot files or in your login.conf.  You may want to
verify that you didn't corrupt your login.conf file during the upgrade.

I'm currently building world as of May 17 @ 04:15 PDT (planned) on a
chrooted filesystem (if I, buildworld, or installworld screws up I
still have my original system).  When it completes I'll boot it and see
if I have the same problem.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC