Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:22:26 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest kernel doesn't work on PPC?

> Well, I rebuilt my PPC system for the first time in a few weeks.  I
> rebooted to the new kernel, and ... it doesn't work.  It can't find
> my root filesystem.  It tries to mount root from /dev/ad0s5 (which
> is correct for my system), but fails.  So, I get the
> mountroot>
> prompt.  If I type '?' to that, it says "List of GEOM managed disk
> devices:", but it shows no devices in that list.

  I re-built last night and the eMac hangs in the ATA probe, so you're a
little better off than I am :)  Working on it as we speak.

> Is there any simple way for me to get back to the kernel which had
> been working for me?

  When booting the loader from the OpenFirmware prompt, give it a
partition which is either non-existent, doesn't have a kernel to load,
or isn't a UFS partition e.g.

0 > boot hd:loader hd:0
/
can't load kernel

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK _

  At this point, you can set currdev and manually load a kernel e.g.

OK set currdev=hd:14
OK load /boot/kernel/kernel.save

  and then

OK boot