Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:41:04 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [FreeBSD]" <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Joao Carlos <jcarlos@bahianet.com.br>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: splash screen

Joao Carlos wrote:

> is really needed to me o rebuild world for using splash screen and the vesa module?
> So radical!
>
> Thanks

You shouldn't need to build world for the splash screen!

You'll have to add a few lines to your kernel, though, if they're not
already there:

/sys/i386/conf/<YOUR-KERNEL>------------------------------------------
options		VESA		# Static VESA support
pseudo-device	splash		# The splash screen module
options		"VM86"		# x86 virtual machines (for vesa)

Follow the straightforward handbook directions on rebuilding your kernel
if you are unsure.

Before you boot your new kernel though, you'll likely have to change a
few things in /boot:

A typical /boot/loader.conf-------------------------------------------
# Splash screen
splash_bmp_load="YES"
vesa_load="NO"		# Since we built it into the kernel already
bitmap_load="YES"
userconfig_script_load="YES"

Then, find a nice bitmap (in a decent screen resolution-640x480 or
higher would be good), and move it to /boot/splash.bmp.  I believe in
-STABLE, you're limited to a 256 colour bitmap.  This may have been
updated in 4.0-CURRENT, though.  Try man splash for any version-specific
stuff there may be.

Virtually yours,
Ryan Thompson