Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:54:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@mail.id.net>
To:        sfox@indirect.com (Steve Fox)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Password Changes

>  I'm doing some consulting for a local ISP that is using FreeBSD 2.1.5
> for their servers. One of their programmers has come up with a plan to
> use an alternate password file for Radius, POP, and personal Web page
> access. His reasoning for doing this is to speed up password access and
> database updates for large (100K entries) password files and Radius dbm
> files, and for security in personal Web pages. Rather than use the
> password database and a Radius database, the password entries now go into
> a directory structure like /etc/password.dir/X/Y. Where 'X' is the first
> character of the user name and 'Y' is the last character of the username.
> The 'Y' file would then contain the encrypted password entry and the
> Radius User file entries for all user names beginning with 'X' and ending
> with 'Y'.
>
>  To accomplish this, he's modified getpwnam, mail.local, Qpopper, Radius,
> and Sendmail's recipients.c to look in this new directory structure for
> the password entry. All this sounds reasonable for a Pop only ISP system
> and it seems to work OK. I just have this uneasy feeling about making
> changes that affect password access. Is this an unfounded fear or does
> anyone see any holes in this plan ?

I personally believe that this is a rediculous way of doing it.. If you
have 100 people logging in simultaneously (10% of your users? Not that
unreasonable), the hard drive head is going to be fluttering all over the
place to read the information for that user.  I think that some sort of
queued synchronus database would be a much better approach.

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net