Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:36:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@think.com>
Cc:        dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Migrating BSDI 1.1 Passwords

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Tony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk on Thu, 1 August:
>
> : > Why not just download it from the UK and let the paranoid US customs and
> : > crypto people be comforted.
> :
> : Well, I would do, but I do a sup from sup.Freebsd.org :)
>
> Now you've done it.  They have to cut off your sup feed.  And probably
> have to hack supfilesrv to special-case export-restricted directories
> in the long run (wasted manpower) or worse yet cut off all non-US
> domains from sup.freebsd.org -- otherwise they are not excercising due
> diligence and are subject to seizure/lien/forfeiture/criminal action.
> And this happens, here in Amerika, quite often.  It would not be at
> all unheard of for FBI troopers with semiauto shotguns to ram in
> Jordan's front door with a skiploader, and perhaps kill a few of his
> children by mistake -- although that sort of thing is usually reserved
> for drug busts at the wrong address or people with unpopular religious
> views, such as alienated ex-scientologists or seventh-day adventist
> splinter groups.

1) That's a huge exaggeration.  It's true in exceptions, but calling it
   common is a lie, and just as bad as the original incidents.
2) This list is hardly a reasonable place to post such, regardless of
   their truth.  Go hit some usenet advocacy list.
3) We all probably disagree to some extent with the US crypto laws, but
   calling mistakes to general attention sure isn't doing any good for the
   person asking for help, is it?

Be constructive.  I probably agree with your basic notions, but they're
too hidden underneath the general rant.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |