Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:41:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      cau@cc.gatech.edu (Carlos Ugarte)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Philips CDD2000 CD-R same as HP SureStore 4020i?

Hello all,

Can someone tell me if the Philips CDD2000 CD-Recorder is the
same as an HP SureStore 4020i?  Philips recently advertised the
internal models for US $499 (after a rebate), and I'm trying to
get it to work, so far with no success.

I thought that the Philips CD-R's were supposed to be extremely
similar to the HP 4020i's and the Plasmon drives.

Some data on the system:

-Running 2.2-961014-SNAP.

-Some relevant lines from my kernel config:
   controller      aha0    at isa? port "IO_AHA0" bio irq ? drq 5 vector ahaintr
   controller      scbus0
   device          sd0     # SCSI disks
   device          st0     # SCSI tapes
   device          cd0     # SCSI CD-ROMs
   device          worm0   at scbus?
   device          pt0     at scbus?
   device          sctarg0 at scbus?
 Does the order matter?  Should I put worm0 before cd0?  Should I
 remove pt0 and sctarg0?  The only other SCSI device is a hard
 drive.

-On bootup, drive is recognized as a CD-ROM, not as a CD-R
 (worm).  Output goes something like...
   (aha0:4:0): "IMS CDD2000/00 1.26" type 5 removable SCSI 2
   cd0(aha0:4:0): CD-ROM
   cd0(aha0:4:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
   cd0(aha0:4:0):  Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
   can't get the size
 If I boot with no CD in the drive, or with a blank CD-R in the
 drive, that is the message.  If I use an already written to
 CD-ROM, then the message is as expected from a SCSI CD-ROM
 drive.  In all cases, trying to access /dev/rworm0.ctl or
 /dev/rworm0 results in a "device not configured" message.

-In /dev, I did a "./MAKEDEV worm"; both /dev/rworm0.ctl and
 /dev/rworm0 show up.

Thanks for any help.

Carlos

--
Carlos A. Ugarte                                cau@cc.gatech.edu
Author of PageMage, a virtual desktop util for OS/2