Date:      Wed, 09 May 2007 21:00:44 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating one's own installer/mfsroot

--------------enig6DE9DD7B26C5766A651A7A8D

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2007 03:40, Matthew X. Economou wrote:
>> Could anyone recommend a good guide for developing one's own mfsroot
>> images suitable for recovery or scripted installation (not using
>> sysinstall)?  It appears that one could develop a simplified
>> network-based installation process based around fdisk, disklabel,
>> newfs, mount_ufs, fetch, and pax, perhaps tied together with the
>> usual scripting tools (maybe miniperl or sh/sed/awk).
>=20
> You could see how make release & FreeSBiE do it.

You could also look at the INSTALL guides for (early versions of?)
Dragonfly, it taught me how to install a BSD system from scratch, using
only what's in base of liveCD :)

(I consider it a bad sign that I've actually needed that knowledge once
to set up a production machine - I thought we're not in the stone age
anymore :( )