Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 21:54:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        sprice@hiwaay.net, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: auto ports build script

>  * Howdy guys,
>
> I'm moving this to ports as this is not really at a release
> engineering state.  I'm copying msmith since I'm not sure if he's on
> the ports list.

Nope.  Thanks for the cc:.

> How about something like this?
>
>  Ingredients:
>
>  (i) A tarball that contains an extracted bindist, tweaked /etc and
>      whatever others (like share/info/dir) that are needed, plus portcheckout

What this *screams* out for is unionfs.

>  (ii) A package of XFree86-3.3.2, but stripped down so it includes only the
>      minimum required for building other stuff (lib/lib*, bin/imake,
>      lib/X11/config, etc.)

Don't be stingy about space, and wherever possible, don't vary from
what people are "normally" going to have.

> For speeding up (2), one thing we my want to do is to add an
> "uncompressed" package type to pkg_*.  Those packages should be much
> faster to pkg_add.  (They will also be faster to build, but that has
> to be done sooner or later so it doesn't help the overall time.)

If it's a real issue, try a "pick'n'place" approach, where everyting on
the packing list gets picked up and transferred into an individual
temporary subtree, where a batch process can come compress it later.
This'll translate well as we move to the new package format too.

> I wish I can use the space we have here at school for this, we have 20
> FreeBSD machines with lots of disks (but they are nearly full).  Maybe
> I'll talk to my professor to make this our next research topic after
> we find a way to move that data elsewhere. :)

Don't stress about space or computrons; that's for me and Jordan to
worry about - you need to tell us what you need, and then get it done.