Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:49:21 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libc_r is deprecated

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 04:24 pm, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > (libpthread is a major drama to get working)
>
> Curious...  Why is that?

Because kern_kse.c wants to do copyin/copyout of the 64 bit format
thread mailboxes, even when the userland is expecting and using the 32
bit layout of mailboxes.  Not to mention that the first item in one of
the structs is a ucontext_t, which is different sizes on i386 and
amd64.

It might be possible to build a special hybrid 32 bit libpthread.so that
uses the 64 bit layout of these structs.  But then it has to convert
the ucontext itself and deal with both formats.

I expect libthr to be easier to get working because it doesn't have a
binary blob for its communication format.  I haven't checked for a
while.  It used to depend on the missing 32 bit wrappers for
getcontext/setcontext/swapcontext.  But those have been implemented
now, there probably isn't much more work needed to get it working.  But
again, I haven't looked for a while.