Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:09:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, David O'Brien wrote:

> > > http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,29695,00.html
> > > Can someone tell Sun to support us? 8)
> >
> > Hopefully they'll see the light soon enough.
>
> Not unless they actually hear from *us* and others.
> The Linux fanatics foam at the mouth and scream at (if not demand)
> vendors to support them.

Yes, however my lack of experiance is a concern to me.

I do not wish to lead this argument/proposal to Sun, it may give people a
bad impression of the FreeBSD community if my efforts fall through, as
well an alienate myself from the FreeBSD community for causing that.

I'm being conservative right now because I don't have support from core, I
do however have a lot of encouragement (which i really appreciate)

A few people have stepped up and helped a lot.

What i'm basically saying is, unless someone from core wants to manage
this project and will try to make contacts, i'd rather this remain more of
a silent effort until we have something that is well... a vast improvement
over what we have now.

> Has anyone that is capable of making real progress contacted Sun to ask
> for a development machine?  Sun offered Jordan 2-3 Ultra machines 1-1.5
> years ago to use in porting FreeBSD to the Ultra.
>
> Jordan turned them down, saying that FreeBSD wasn't interested [at the
> time] unless Sun also gave some $$ to support maintenance of the port once
> it was done.  At the time there didn't seem to be any/many FreeBSD
> developers interested in the Sparc.  And the idea of making the Ports
> Collection run on the Sparc is a very scarry thought.  We have yet to see
> just how well we will support the Alphas.

Bad Jordan! :)

It makes sense though, FreeBSD is still a project and not a commercial
entity, therefore much more support from the vendor would be benificial.

> Because of Jordan's/FreeBSD's response, Sun then decided to have one of
> their own port FreeBSD to the Ultra.  This is where Jason Evans
> <jasone@canonware.com>.  To quote one of Jason's emails:
>
>     As has been alluded to in some of Jordan Hubbard's email, Sun
>     Microelectronics (SME, the processor division of Sun) recently
>     discussed paying FreeBSD core to officially support a port of FreeBSD
>     to SPARC.  These plans fell through in some way (I wasn't part of the
>     discussion, so I don't know details), but SME is having me work on
>     the port.
>
> -and-
>
>     A while back, SME approached FreeBSD core and offered monetary
>     compensation of some nature (I don't know the details) in exchange
>     for an official UltraSPARC port. FreeBSD core turned down this offer.
>     Once again, I don't know details, but one of the main statements made
>     (actually somewhat inferred) by Jordan Hubbard was that SME's offer
>     was not of major interest since to be of long term use to FreeBSD,
>     such a proposal would need to include support for a number of years
>     from someone internal to Sun.
>
> There is no reason we can't, provided someone is prepared to spear head
> it, ask Sun for a simular offer.

Will someone with more courage and experiance than I please speak up about
this, perhaps contact sun?

I hope people understand that the only reason i shell'd out 3k for a an
ultra was to aid/start the port.  This isn't a trivial thing to me.

-Alfred

On another note i have to figure out the syscall mechanism we will be
using to i can code libc asm hooks correctly.