Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:42:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andreas Pleschutznig <andy@ple.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS Passwords?

I finally got our NIS server running. Turns out that the problem I was
experiencing was a completely different one:

Currtenly it seems to me that the passwords stored in /etc/master.passwd are not
encrypted using the same mechanisms as when you use NIS and
/var/yp/master.passwd.

If I clear a passwd in /etc/yp/master.passwd and then create a new one using
yppasswd everything is fine and that user can log in on the NIS clients, but if
I don't do that the users cannot log in on the clients.

This is especially nasty as I do have a lot of users on my system which are
already happy if they can cann the difference between word and netscape, and
having them log in and reset their passwords is a pain in the butt. Are ther any
possibilities to get passwords in the standard /etc/master.passwd file
'compatible' to /var/yp/master.passwd?

   Thanks
   Andy

--