Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:30:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@kronos.alcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   pending patch to fix lack of signed sysctl values

  Since the countdown is on to a new release, I'de like to take a second and
nag some committers to take a look at PR kern/15251. Greg was going to take
care of it for me before he got called away on business. In any event, it
would good to get into 4.0 release if for no other reason than to prevent
sysctl(1) from reporting ludicrious values for some system stats on
long-running systems.
  The patches in kern/15251 add an unsigned flag to sysctl vars and updates
sysctl(1) to honor that flag. This eliminates the reporting of negative stat
counts when an unsigned integer was being displayed as a signed value. In the
long term, there will probably be a need to make some of these stat counts
larger integers (at least on i386 where longs are 32 bits and are easily
overflown on long-running systems), but for now, these patches are a step in
the right direction.

  Thanks,

  Kelly

--