Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:28:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dusk Auriel Sykotik <syko@sykotik.org>
To:        Hostas Red <kong@kong.spb.ru>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still having big problems with 'w'

Odd, one time on a 2.2.6 system I had who performing oddly in a similar
manner with the ansi chars.  It also sometimes showed "invalid hostname"
as the user's hostname from which they were logged in.  That seems to have
corrected itself by no doing of mine however, and I didn't really have
time to look into it myself.  I don't know whether `w` was broken, since I
never use it.

/*
 *   Matt Harris                   +++   Syko
 *   BPSOFH, BIOFH, C, SQL, PERL   +++   http://starix.technonet.net/~syko/
 */

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Hostas Red wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Still having problems with idletimes, and not only them. It seems, that
> 'w/who/finger' is completely broken:
>
> kong@kong:~> w
> w: /dev//kong: No such file or directory
>  7:11    up  2:35, 3 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.07, 0.08
> USER          TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
> kong          v7       -                 4:36    2:35 xinit /home/kong/.xini
> ttyp3                  :0.0              7:09    2:34 -
> kong          p4       -                01ÑÎ×70  2:35 -bash (bash)

Best look at the source for those bins and
see where its getting that information from.