Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 02:57:13 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Joe Morgan <JMORGAN@dictaphone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Auth and Time Sync Servers.

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 07:55:27PM -0500, Joe Morgan wrote:
> ** High Priority **
>
> I hope someone can help I am probably just lost in terminology.
> I have need to run FreeBSD as a time-sync server and as a authorization
> server can any one help me. I am not new to unix but green as grass to
> FreeBSD.

For the time server part, you'll just have to run xntpd - do a 'man
xntpd' and then set the appropriate flags in /etc/rc.conf.
I'm using the following config file for my NTP server:

# Change xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to the IP address of the NTP host you want to
# synchronize from, preferably one that has a low 'stratum' (will be
# shown when you do ntptrace) and is close to you netwise.
server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
driftfile /var/run/ntp.drift

I've put the above file with an appropriate IP address in
/etc/ntp.conf, and set the appropriate part of rc.conf as follows:

ntpdate_enable="NO"             # Run the ntpdate to sync time (or NO).
ntpdate_flags=""                # Flags to ntpdate (if enabled).
xntpd_enable="YES"              # Run xntpd Network Time Protocol (or NO).
xntpd_flags=""                  # Flags to xntpd (if enabled).

Be aware that xntpd takes quite a while to connect - often several
minutes.

As for the authentication server, I don't know what kind of
authorization you want to do, so I can't help you there.

Eivind.