Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 14:43:35 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jandrese@mitre.org
Subject:   Re: Real "technical comparison"

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> > I would suggest a better test would be to open _at least_
> > 250,000 connections to a server running under both FreeBSD
> > and Linux.  I was able to do this without breaking a sweat
> > on a correctly configured FreeBSD 4.3 system.
>
> How about a real benchmark?

Good question indeed. All proposed benchmarks in this thread
have been geared heavily towards one system or the other and
are not at all "industry standard" benchmarks.

> At www.spec.org I see SPECweb99 numbers for Solaris, AIX,
> Linux, Windows, Tru64, and HP-UX. FreeBSD must be hiding,
> because I don't see it. BSDI, Walnut Creek, and WindRiver
> all have failed to submit results.

> Linux is still #1 for 1 to 4 processors. The 8-way results
> need to be redone on newer hardware (Windows is ahead now)
> and Linux doesn't have 6-way or 12-way numbers.

Last I heard the 8-way result with Windows had an "NC"
(not qualified) next to it. OTOH, Linux' 8-way numbers
still leave a lot to be desired ...

> Go on, show some numbers. Stop hiding.

*nod*

We can all brag about our performance being better than
the others, but unless some actual numbers on a standardised
benchmark are being published, it's nothing more than just
bragging and bullshitting each other.

If FreeBSD's performance is as good as people say (which I'm
not doubting, at least as far as the realistic claims go),
then where are those impressively high specweb numbers? ;)

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/

Send all your spam to aardvark@nl.linux.org (spam digging piggy)