Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:29:46 -0600
From:      "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@acl.lanl.gov>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between msync() and fsync()

You should first check out how msync/fsync work on something like solaris,
since every time I've checked for the last five years or so no version of
bsd has really got it working right (although netbsd + UVM may finally
have it).

To observe msync/fsync in action use tcpdump to watch a host as it does
msync/fsync on an nfs-mounted file system. You can tell by the NFS packets
what's actually going on. Be sure to do msync on partial mapped ranges,
not simple msync's of the whole region, as well as on dirty pages, clean
pages, etc. Obviously for clean pages you should see no traffic when the
msync is called, and you should see traffic when the page is referenced
again. I've never had this latter test work on freebsd, and lots of other
os'es. The only OS it ever really worked correctly on is sunos/solaris.

You can search old archives for a long message from me (ca. 1995?) about
how msync doesn't work right on freebsd.

ron