Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:05:13 -0000
From:      "cameron grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Sean Harding" <sharding@dogcow.org>, <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sound problems with NeoMagic NM256AV

> I'm having some trouble getting sound working on my laptop (Dell Latitude
> CPi A-366T) with a NeoMagic NM256AV sound card. My system is running:

the neomagic sound driver is known to be broken.  i've tried several times
to fix it, but without having one to study the problem in detail i've not
been successful.

the next big sound mfc will contain additional diagnostics which may narrow
down the problem.

ideally, someone who really wants the driver fixed would donate a
neomagic-based laptop (the neomagic chips are only used in laptops).  one
with a broken screen or keyboard would be fine as all my development
machines use serial conoles anyway.  just so long as its hard drive works
and it boots freebsd.

it would also help to know if the problem is restricted to 256av chips or if
the 256zx is affected too.

    -cg