Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:03:19 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PR broken? was Re: Linux not FreeBSD?

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 12:27:16AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> Well, you kind of got the point.  Try reading the last part of
> Terry's sentence and the last part of yours...
>
> Eventually, FreeBSD is going to have to tailor to a wide base of
> people, not just Unix hackers if it wants to leave its mark.  While
> it's still being developed, we don't every Joe Schmoe, I agree.  It
> will have to change sometime though.  I think the first group we
> should target (and I think FreeBSD should be heavily targeting them
> now) is Universities, before they all end up using Linux and leaving
> BSD out in the cold.  Somehow, we need to make BSD attractice to
> researchers.  I wish I knew more of how to do this.

(1) Replace CVS with something that supports full branching and
    renames.
(2) Replace CVS with something that supports full branching and
    renames.
(3) Stabilize the kernel API (this should probably be done by going
    through the API we have and evaluating each function in a public
    forum, and then committing to keeping the ones we deem OK for a
    certain number of years - three years would probably be a good
    first start).
(4) Replace CVS with something that supports full branching and
    renames.
(5) Document the APIs and programming models used everywhere, to make
    it easy to throw students at the code.
(6) Replace CVS with something that supports full branching and
    renames.
(7) Replace CVS with something that supports full branching and
    renames.
(8) Have somebody become the 'academic contact' for FreeBSD, attemting
    to provide the services academics need to use the codebase, and to
    contact the projects that already use (and don't use) the FreeBSD
    codebase and find out why they made the choice they did, and make
    FreeBSD adapt to this.
(9) Create a formal policy for how to handle submissions, in order to
    avoid the submissions falling through the cracks and thus
    discouraging submitters from sending in anything again.
    Difficulty in getting things integrated *do* block researchers
    from building on previous research, and disheartens them.
(10) Replace CVS with something that supports full branching and
    renames.

Did I mention getting rid of CVS?  Ah, yes, I think I did.  (It is
necessary in order to get a decent handle on branched development -
and you need branched development if you're going to do research.)

Eivind.