Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:22:28 -0500
From:      Daniel Harris <dannyboy@subdimension.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with ppp in 3.4-RELEASE

I use Slackware Linux, but on the advice of some friends I got rid of an
unused MS-DOS partition and added FreeBSD.  So far I've been extremely
impressed by the speed and stability.

My problem: I can't get PPP to work.  Without access to the internet any
system is fairly useless to me.

First I tried setting up user ppp.  I set it up correctly, or so it
seemed.  However, when I dial, ppp doesn't seem to be getting the
CONNECT from my modem.  I assume that CONNECT is being sent by the modem
because Linux and Win98 don't have any problems catching it.  Since the
chatscript doesn't get the expected CONNECT, it times out and dies.

Next, I tried kernel ppp.  I installed KDE and used kppp.  It hangs when
it is trying to initialize the modem -- doesn't get the OK after its
ATZ.

Both problems seem to be caused by bad communication from the modem to
the software.  Any ideas as to what could be causing this?