Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:49:51 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, karl@denninger.net, mlnn4@oaks.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

At 08:52 PM 10/28/98 -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

>> >?? I do these things for a living but don't remember any real problems
>> >with the fans. Customers are normally pretty quick to point them out ;-)
>> >
>> >Tell me more..
>>
>> That'd be Winter's department, i was just questioning it.  Never
>> really wanted to buy anything from Kingston.  The Digital Storageworks
>> cabinets look intriguing, but I don't have that kinda green to be
>> tossing around.  I guess I'll just keep stacking smaller drives, and
>> look into something inane like RAID in the future.
>
>I read the DSW comment as "you think Kingston's have fan failures.  Wait
>till you see a DSW."
>
>The DSWs on the toasters at work appear to be pretty good though I'm not
>even remotely involved with that hardware.
>
>The experiences with the Kingston enclosures I've had indicate that fan
>failure is somewhat frequent.
>
>2 of the fans are -inside- the enclosure where it is difficult to hot-swap
>them.

Heh I'll stick with smaller-level devices for the time being..  I think
life is easier that way :)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998