Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 16:10:32 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        peter kok <peter@sweda.com.hk>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mail

peter kok wrote:

> Hello all
>
> i received the following from undelivered message
> What is the problem of that?
> what is the meaning of 'Message has exceeded maximum hop count'?
> Why does cause it?

Unless memory fails me, when you install sendmail you also set the
maximum hop count. This is the maximum number of hosts it will
allow any mail message to be routed through before generating
that error.

I just looked and default it is commented out (in 3.1-STABLE):

# maximum hop count
#O MaxHopCount=17

Roelof

--