Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 18:37:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   monitoring Fbsd

	Hi all.  I've got a newbie I'm having to train for the next 12
weeks for his spring/summer co-op with us and I'm wanting some good sites
to send him to and for him to use while he's at home/school to help him get more
proficient at Freebsd and get the best out of his time here.  The three
basic areas I want to teach him this summer are as follows:

System Monitoring - Monitoring things like Apache, samba, ftp, and others
for performance, identifying problems, troubleshooting, and resolving
them.

System troubleshooting - Quickly finding common problems and resolving
them in the best way possible.

Security and firewalls - Setting up and maintaining a firewall, NAT, and
Ipsec.

	Kind of ambitious, well it was when I first trained.  I'm sure
he'll do fine, but I want him to learn as much as possible, so I figure if
all goes well, we'll get most of it done this summer, but I want him to
learn a bunch of this offsite where he's got time to learn it away from
the hecktic pace of the NOC.  I'm wanting to teach him as much as I can in
these 12 weeks to help him out.

	Does anyone have any good sites or resources that will help me out
with this?  He's no greenhorn, but he's still a little green around the
edges when it comes to certain things on unix.

	So I'm going to make sure that he doesn't have to touch anything
except the network, some of the cisco equipment we have (with my
supervision of course) and our internal FreeBSD servers.  So I'm keeping
him to a reasonable learning schedual, while at the same time making it
both challenging and exciting.  So since this is my first true newbie who
gets to follow me like a mother hen for the next 12 weeks, I want to make
the best out of this.  :)  Thanks all.  You're always a great help.