Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 12:20:52 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo), questions@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Intel Atlantis problems

> > Thanks. Isn't this something that should go in the FAQ ? Or perhaps,
> > could we remove 0x2e8 from
> >
> >     static Port_t likely_com_ports[] = { 0x3f8, 0x2f8, 0x3e8, 0x2e8, };
> >
> > in /sys/i386/isa/sio.c ?
>
> That's the hack.
>
> As to your idea, no.  We should identify the Mach cards, or we should
> relax the invasiveness of the SIO probe code to prevent the problem.

You mean like this:

revision 1.123
date: 1995/11/29 15:00:07;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -10
Removed builtin list of port addresses.  The address for sio3
conflicted with S3 graphics cards.  Now users should put sio[2-3]
in the config file if the hardware exisst, even if the probe is
certain to fail due to an interrupt conflict.  Otherwise, ports
sharing the interrupt may fail the probe if the system is warm
booted while sio[2-3] are active (perhaps under another OS).  The
same problem for nonstandard ports is now handled better than
before.

Thanks Bruce!!  (Any chance of this code going into -stable though...)

Nate