Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:20:09 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew@gurney.reilly.home>
To:        ts@polynet.lviv.ua
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fujitsu SCSI MO 640M - disklabel and newfs problem

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 11:31:11AM +0300, ts@polynet.lviv.ua wrote:
> I have Fujitsu SCSI-2 MO 640M drive and a disk for it.
> The OS sees the drive but I have a problem using a disk (was OK with Win).
> Can anyone tell me what parameters I can use to disklabel it?
> Strange, is this device/disk unpopular to freebsd people, cos I can not
> find it in disktab?
> Thanks.

Unless someone else pipes up to the contrary, it's my experience
that you cannot do this (talk to 640M disks) under FreeBSD at all,
at the moment.  I have one (a M2513A), and FreeBSD 2.2.6+(May 11).
I believe that 3.0-current can't do much better.

The problem is that the 640M disks have sectors that are 2k bytes
long, rather than the usual 512.  FreeBSD does all file system and
device calculations in terms of a global block size, which is 512
bytes.  I believe that there are moves afoot to rectify this
situation.  Perhaps as part of the DEVFS change?

In the mean-time, your best bet is to buy some of the 540M media:
they have 512-byte sectors.  I haven't tried them myself yet, but
I know that the 230M disks work.  It's all a bit disappointing,
really.

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."