Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:37:45 -0400
From:      APseudoUtopia <apseudoutopia@gmail.com>
To:        Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd jail: web and database server config questions

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Freebsd people,
>
> To consolditae on resources I have configured a machine to run both a web=
 and database server (powering my database driven website).

> Due to security concerns I'm contemplating on introducing a jailed enviro=
nment on this machine and want to know if this would be feasible. I have a =
few questions for the freebsd community regarding this approach and hope so=
meone would give me some advice.

> Is it advisable/wise/okay/clever to run a webserver on my host system and=
 a database server on my jailed system? The webserver will need to connect =
to the database system on startup and update the database based on client a=
ccess.

I would recommend either doing it the other way around (webserver
inside the jail) or have both web and db inside separate jails.

> However, if a machine gets compromised, it would rather be the webserver,=
 therefore running the webserver in the jailed environment seems better to =
me. But how could that be done, if the webserver requires to connect throug=
h tcp/ip to the database server running on the host system? I thought that =
a key-feature of a jailed system is that it can't access resources outside =
the jail.

It *may* be possible to set your database software to listen on a unix
socket inside the jail dir on the host. For example, if your webserver
jail is in /usr/jails/httpd/ on the host, you may be able to have your
database listen on a unix socket in, say, /usr/jails/httpd/tmp/.
Inside the jail, you can point your web app to use the socket inside
/tmp/. I'm not sure if this is possible as I never actually
implemented it with my setup, but you can try.