Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:48:30 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trivial questions about CNTL-ALT-DEL and CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE

Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> I've just been installing 7.2-RELEASE/amd64 on a fresh/wiped system
> that I plan to use as my future "main" workstation.
>
> Anyway, I've already noticed a couple of things that seem to be different
> from prior release that I need to ask about, i.e.:
>
> 1)  It appears that CNTL-ALT-DEL now causes a shutdown/reboot.  (I don't
> know what release this new feature started in... I only just noticed it
> now.)  Anyway, I'd like to know how I can disable this particular bit of
> functionality. How do I do that?

Add:
hw.syscons.kbd_reboot=0
to /etc/sysctl.conf.

Activate immediately by executing
sysctl hw.syscons.kbd_reboot=0

> 2)  Prior versions of X (Xorg?) allowed CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE to cause an
> immediate shutdown of the X server, but now, that doesn't see to work
> anymore.  How can I (re-)enable this functionality?

Welcome to the new Xorg and HAL... Please read this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

There is  a note that describes how to re-enable CTRL+ALT+BKSP
functionality.