Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:29:40 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Whay is broken ATARAID that ignored?

--Boundary-02=_8td8A3jx9zbuDij

I reported that atarid is broken for sil0680 since S=F8rens last commit on =
07/25=20
(rev 1.79.)
Nobody responded nor is there any comment in UPDATING.
This is a severe bug and nobody seems to care about, at least I haven't got=
=20
any "I know, but....."

The man page still claims to support these controllers. But they've never=20
really been. As soon as one drive fails, the support fails because no rebui=
ld=20
is possible (with -stable).

Please remove the HPT372, sil0680 and (I tested that one today) the sil649=
=20
from the man page as beeing supported. They are not. Neither in -current no=
r=20
in -stable.
People like me take these man pages as reference and purchase hardware whic=
h=20
is said to be supported.

Or fix it. At least there should be a note in UPDATING. It's horrible to fi=
nd=20
out that suddenly the system doesn't detect ar0 any more!!!
And nobody cares about for over two weeks.......

If I could fix it I would do it. Regrettably I can't. But I did painful=20
tests.....

=2DHarry