Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:32:07 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Andreas Pleschutznig <andy@ple.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS Passwords?

>Sorry, taht I did not answer your questions directly I thought I would follow
>your good advice to post it to -questions.

Good for you!  The point was that I was about to leave for the evening,
but the answers to those questions would have allowed me or anyone else
with NIS experience to get you an answer quickly.

>But to answer it: both boxes are FreeBSD. The server is a 3.2-release and the
>client is a 3.4-stable.

In that case it sounds like one is defaulting to MD5 and the other to
DES.  If all your NIS participating systems will be FreeBSD then don't
bother with DES.  MD5 is more secure.  If it's a mixed environment like
mine or is likely to become one some day then DES is the lingua franca.

You can tell the two apart easily by looking at the encryted form.  DES
password fields are 13 characters long.  MD5 are, well, longer.
I'm too lazy to count that far but it looks like about twice as long.

Once you decide which form you want then you need to make all/both your
systems use the same form.  FreeBSD starts with MD5 as the default.  You
can add DES by installing it from sysinstall.  Offhand I'm not sure how
you remove it once it's installed.  There's probably (hopefully) a
simple way, but I've never gone looking for it.

-Mitch