Date:      06 Mar 2003 17:11:38 +1300
From:      Donovan Jones <d.jones@comnet.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [freebsd] IP addresses changing...

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 16:31, tony wrote:

> I just received an email from my ISP that all my IP addresses are changing!
>
> Any hints from anyone on how to keep the downtime minimal, and update all my
> DNS records so I don't fall off the face of the Internet!
>
> I have 5 days....

change the ttls (time to live) for the mission critical records. The
ttls affect how long a non authoratitive server will cache the record
for, defaults are often 86400 secs or 1 day you should change these to
something low like 300secs (5min) in bind8 the way to do this in a zone
file is eg for a MX and a A record:

		300     IN      MX      10      mailhost.xyz.com.
ftp             300     IN      A       11.67.16.11

alternatively you could change the default for all records in the zone
by altering the first line:
$TTL    86400
to some lower value. It should be a similar process with bind9 / other
dns servers.
dont forget to

ndc reload; tail /var/log/messages | grep named

if youre trouble shooting and want to check is some other server has
cached an old record try this command

host -v www.your-domain.com ns1.some-other-isp.com

the ANSWER SECTION will contain the record and TTL value

for email do

host -v -t your-domain.com ns1.some-other-isp.com

for the mx records ttls

hope that helps

Don Jones