Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2014 07:28:23 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOLVED: Re: All of a sudden, problems with X

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:21:36 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> Polytropon writes:
> >
> > The easiest thing now would be to remove X and
> >
> > 	a) install it _and_ its dependencies from ports,
> > 	   ports tree updated of course
>
> I think this is what I did. The command I used was:
>
> portmaster -w -r xorg-server
>
> The problem reported here now seems to be solved. I have a mouse again.

After a ports tree update, this would be the clean solution.
All dependencies (like xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse)
will then be "in sync" again with the other X components.

> haven't tried Xorg -configure, but I've got fluxbox working from startx
> again.

If your X works without a xorg.conf, you can omit this step.

> And I haven't tried gdm to see if all this latest has fixed whatever
> was wrong there.

You could try xdm as a graphical login manager (I use it myself
on my home desktop - it's fast and free of bloat).

> It does seem there are some gotchas with this latest version of Xorg. One
> is that it attempts to respond to my mismatched dual-head setup. It didn't
> get screen dimensions right at all and fell back to an ugly common
> denominator. It happens the big beautiful screen is destined for a server
> that should be arriving in a couple days anyway, so I'm just disconnecting
> it a bit early. The small notebook screen will suffice until then.

For settings like dual-screen, having a _partial_ xorg.conf
might be a usable solution, i. e., you only define those parts
like screen location and dimensions as needed, and have X and HAL
recognize automatically all the other parts for the setup.

I'm going with a HAL-less X myself at home, with xorg.conf and
two 21" CRTs so old that no autodetection magic will ever work,
so "the old way" is still possible if technically required. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany