Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:43:33 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        "David A. Panariti" <davep@meduseld.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Small request for updating

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 10:30:17AM -0400, David A. Panariti wrote:
> (Sorry about the empty message, shaky fingers on a small laptop
> keyboard)
>
> This is really a request for the security branch (RELENG_X_y).
> Would it be too much to ask that the updaters of UPDATING add a small
> comment as to whether or not a mergemaster run is needed if updating
> from the previous patch?
>
> I follow stable and the security lists, but being fallible I may miss
> something.  Mergemaster is *the* most time consuming step from my
> perspective since it is interactive.  If the committers knew whether
> or not file(s) changed such that a mergemaster was needed, that little
> bit of info would be a huge time saver.
>
> If this would be too much trouble, then never mind.

  If the files changed then there would be nothing to merge, except for
  a few files that almost always have differences such as /etc/passwd
  and /etc/groups, and so the mergemaster run will be much faster.
  And to see the differences in 'groups' and 'passwd' is trivial.  In
  other words, you should always run mergemaster and it will tell you
  what's changed and what hasn't.  You don't need UPDATING to tell you
  something that mergemaster already does.

--
Bosko Milekic * bmilekic@unixdaemons.com * bmilekic@FreeBSD.org