Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:28:27 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        parv <parv@pair.com>, f-q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: correlation between mkisofs generated file and actual file size

On Sunday 14 April 2002 11:23 pm, parv wrote:
| is there any correlation between mkisofs generated file and actual
| file size?  i tried two three times, everytime i get "file system
| full".  below are the statistics...
|
| # du -sk -d 2 /source/ports
| 520182  /source/ports/distfiles
| 722077  /source/ports
|
| # df /cdrw
| Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
| /dev/ad0s3e     714447        1   657291     0%    /cdrw
|
| ...last time, mkisofs was reporting "78.51% done" -- while
| creating image of /source/ports/distfiles -- "df /cdrw" was
| reporting "97%" capacity.  that implies to create possibly 640 MB
| image, i need to reduce the total original file size to 408394 kB,
| or 398 MB.  that's quite a waste!  is my math wrong, or something
| else?

Well, there *is* overhead in iso 9660 vs. other file systems, and you are
adding to the overhead by enabling

 - trans.tbl
 - joliet records
 - rock ridge

It seems a little to me to enable all of these file system descriptors (as if
you want a very portable disk) and at the same time use the "very dangerous"
options like -D and -max-iso9660-filenames and -relaxed-filenames and
-allow-lowercase and -d and so forth.  As you sure that you want to do that?

In particular, the trans.tbl is really only of use to those running MS-DOS or
a version of Windows older than Windows 95.  Is this is really necessary?

Some of these options might be useful for Apple computers (I'm not sure), but
if so, you'd get the same support at lower overhead with -apple, since it
basically builds on the rock-ridge extensions that you already using.

You don't need to allow the max-iso-9660-filenames and all that jazz just to
have reasonable filenames for Windows (joliet) and Unix (rock ridge); you
only need to do this to allow them for, again, MS-DOS / Win 3.1.  And
enabling them risks creating a corrupt CD for lots of users.

So I suspect that something like

mkisofs -R -J -apple -dir-mode 755 -file-mode 644 \
 -o /cdrw/distfiles.iso \
 -graft-points ports/=/source/ports \
 /source/ports/distfiles

Would be both more portable and lower overhead.

(Unless you really do have people out there running Microsoft operating
systems that are more than seven years old.)

If your audience is more constrained, you could omit any or all of the -J or
-apple flags and the overhead would be further reduced.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org