Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 00:15:30 -0500
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com>
To:        cworthy@swbell.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 portupgrade failure

Portupgrade failed for me, too; apparently somethings get built out of order
--not that I blame portupgrade, XFree86-4.x is always a pain to install or
upgrade; I fight it everytime I have to make changes.

The solution for me (and posted by others recently on this list):

build the clients first,  and if that fails, build the libraries first, then
the clients, then run portupgrade.  Additionally, to save yourself yet
another potential headache: if you are upgrading from and earlier version of
XFree96-4 (not 3), save a copy of the XFree86config file somewhere safe where
the new version can't overwrite it.  I don't know that it would overwrite it,
but the config can be such a pain, it's better to be safe than miserable.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT