Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 21:13:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2940W and Wide/Narrow Devices

I am currently having a problem getting my Wide and narrow devices to
work in harmony.  Everything works great if I remove the wide device
(and use narrow cabling, etc).

The card is one of the origional 2940W (non-ultra, no-auto termination)
with BIOS 1.16.

With the wide device installed, I have all of the devices attached to the
SCSI bus with the Wide Cable, and converters to go from the wide cable to
the narrow devices (where applicable).  The wide device is a
Micropolis 4221W HDD and is the
last device of the internal chain and is terminated.  Using the Seperate
wide/narrow connectors on the 2940 is not an option since I need to use
the external connector for my JAZ/tape drive.

I am currently running a kernel from 5/14.  I have also tried the 6/12 SNAP
with the same luck.  I don't currently have SUP capability.

The actual problem are timeouts (of various form - datain, dataout, etc).
The SNAP fails miserably.  I get a timeout on every operation.  CD mount,
write partition table, etc.  I don't seem to see this with an old boot
floppy I had from a stable back in February.

Any ideas on what I can do to get this working??

Thanks