Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:56:28 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        notme <notme@lvdi.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: windows 95 connect to FreeBSD

At 17.04 22/03/99 +0000, you wrote:
>> I was under the impression that Samba provided the functionality for
>> FreeBSD to see Windows shared drives. Is that not the case?
>You get 'smbclient' - which is an ftp-like program that uses SMB, you can
>connect and ftp files off a LAN Manager host (such as Win'9X/NT)... This is
>also used by smbtar - which can automatically tar files off a LAN Manager
>system, but they don't allow you to cross-mount an SMB/LANManager drive
onto a
>unix filesystem :-(

  Yeah. Sharity Light does exactly that: mounting SMB drives onto Unix,
although the last time I wanted to use it, it didn't work (auth problems).
I did the job another way without going deep in the subject. Anyway, I
think the problem was the same I subsequently saw discussed by Tatsumi
Hosokawa (the Samba maintainer) during the installation of a recent port of
Samba: something in authentication has changed in latest Windows releases
(NT+SP3/4, etc.). I don't remember what the solution was, but probably
there's a similar solution for Sharity Light too.

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - System Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it