Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:37:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
To:        <Raf_Schietekat@ieee.org>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kdm grants ordinary users root access on 4.4-R

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Raf Schietekat wrote:

> No takers? Seems pretty damn serious, though: through kdm, the ordinary
> user logs in, gets his home directory all right (hence the result of
> "cd" and the restored KDE session), but also gets root privileges. I'll
> have to refresh my Unix savvy to see how this relates to set(e)uid() and
> stuff, and this evening I may look into the source myself, but I'd
> rather some of you would help me out here, because I've also found a
> load of stuff GNU C++ won't do for me while porting a software package
> from MS VC++ 5.0 (itself several years old!), and I'd rather dedicate my
> time to that problem.

Strange.  My kde2 (or are we talking kde1?) doesn't show this behavior.
I have used kcontrol the last day or two, and I have no root owned files
in my home.  Although that would shock me since my home is nfs mounted
without root privs.

While kcontrol *does* claim that the user is root, I don't seem to have
any rootly power to change things, such as the kdm properties.  I thinking
kde2 is having problems with the freebsd passwd, although I don't know
why.  I also haven't figured out why kde won't accept my password to
unlock the screen saver, of the root password so I *can* modify the kdm
settings as myself.  I've been meaning to peek at the code to see why
those two bit don't work.

As for the lack of response, I suppose that if I were very security
conscious, I wouldn't be running kde (or probably X) in the first place.
There probably aren't too many people on the list that are running kde. :)

--
Matt Piechota