Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:23:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?

You don't listen when requested to trim headers, do you?  And ctl-k just
taken out of the ASCII spec too...  What a maroon!

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

>At 11:58 AM 1/19/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
>>Brett is a nice example here; if I had to psycho-analyze him
>>(which I don't have the credentials to do, despite having helped
>>several people study for a Master's in Psychiatric Socialwork,
>>and having read everything they've read), I'd say that Brett is
>>still here because FreeBSD is the closest social organization to
>>what he wants to have come into existance.  He can agree or he
>>can disagree, that's only my opinion right now, with the evidence
>>at hand.
>
>Actually, there are other social structures that I'd prefer for an

Yeah, there are others that you'd prefer, but those that you prefer AND
that will take you must number rather few, especially since I have my
doubts as to any society that doesn't have second thoughts about including
you after finding out about you.

>open source operating system project. I work with the BSDs because
>they are technologically sophisticated and their licensing (unlike
>that of Linux) is ethical. I am greatly concerned about the BSDs'

I need to get you and Raul Miller in the same room one of these days: he's
rabid GPL, you're rabid BSDL.  Hopefully the two of you will cancel each
other out and the rest of us can get on with a happier life...

>reliance on the GNU toolchain and (in some cases) on GNU userland
>utilities. FreeBSD uses the most GNU software, and this disturbs
>me because it puts it most at the mercy of an organization whose
>agenda requires the ultimate destruction of all alternatives --
>including all of the BSDs.
>
>I work with FreeBSD a fair amount of the time because it has
>features that I often need. (When size or simplicity is an issue,
>I use NetBSD or OpenBSD, because they remain closer to the
>KISS philosophy that was prevalent at CSRG. Also, I can
>squash their kernels and userlands into a smaller space, which
>is helpful for some of the embedded applications I do.) I
>monitor these lists because I need to keep informed about
>features, security advisories, etc. I participate in the
>conversations here because I can sometimes be helpful to fellow
>users and administrators and often learn things. The pissing
>contests I endure on the lists are their biggest drawback.

You want to stop pissing contests, put away your pathetic excuse for a
penis.

>I'd like to influence the future direction and philosophy

TRUST me, you do more to influence the direction of FreeBSD than any ten
others.  When you espouse something, people avoid it like the plague.

>of FreeBSD, but even simple and seemingly obvious suggestions
>in these areas seem to be met with strong resistance. The
>"leaders" are so territorial and resistant to outside
>suggestions that they'll reject ideas that come from outside
>the core group -- and, in particular, from me because
>I've been labeled as "dangerous." So, my best success has come

Okay, I'll help here: I dub thee "dangerously stupid".

>when I've been able to get one of those leaders to say, "That's
>a great idea; glad I thought of it!" Unfortunately, the kinds

ROFLMAO!  Stop, you're KILLING me!

>of ideas that can be introduced via this technique are
>limited. The absolute WORST way to bring up an idea, I've

Other than the header "From: Brett Glass <whatever it is this week>"?

>found, is on the mailing lists -- which is a shame because
>they're the community's primary avenues of communication.
>
>I'd like to be able to make suggestions directly rather than
>being forced to adopt "stealth" techniques, but it doesn't
>seem possible with the current social climate or leadership.

...or the current suggester...

>The egos are too strong and the combative nature of some of
>the key players prevents it. I hold out a faint hope that
>there could be open, honest, relaxed, and less ego-laden

The open part's easy: it's already there.  The honest part is kind of
ruled out when you're one of the participants.  The relaxed part is
also kind of out around you: you are probably the LEAST relaxing person I
have had the misfortune to encounter.  As for "less ego-laden": yeah,
riiiight.  Your ego expands to exceed the capacity of any given vessel
rather quickly.

--
I can be immature if I want to, because I'm mature enough to make my own
decisions.

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu