Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:05:46 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ubbink <crasp@blackbyte.nl>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPF, IPv6 and a bridge

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 01:43:06PM +0000, David Malone wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:38:08AM +0100, Jeroen Ubbink wrote:
> > ipfw doesn't seem to block router advertisements on a
> > bridge either. Is this just a problem with both those firewall tools or is
> > it a problem in FreeBSD?
>
> Bridged packets are special and are not usually firewalled. I could be
> mistaken, but I don't think you can get ipf to filter bridged packets
> in 4.9. You could use ipfw2 to do it though:
>
> 	sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
> 	ipfw add deny layer2 mac-type ipv6 recv tun1

Thank you, this seems to do the trick, though i have a mixed feeling about
ipf, since the ipf page (http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/) describes in
their in there "ipf HOWTO" in chapter 9.2 that it IS possible to use ipf on
a bridge. Given that there is also net.link.ether.brigde_ipf one would say
it should work, and it does till a certain point. IPv6 however seems
impossible to block with ipf. Anyway, it works now, that's all i care about
actually :)

> (You'll need to turn on ipfw2 to do this - see the ipfw man page for
> details).
>
> 	David.

Kind regards,
Jeroen Ubbink