Date:      Sun, 27 May 2007 18:21:03 +0200
From:      "Richard Noorlandt" <lists.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

2007/5/25, Jan Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>:

> You can use the Areca controller to create separate devices/LUNs,
> and then ignore fdisk/gpt/labels altogether for the large
> filesystem you want to grow, and just stick the filesystem directly
> on /dev/da1, or whatever it ends up being.

I didn't realize that you could actually put the FS directly on the drive
without partitioning it first, but it makes sense. Are there any known
problems with such a setup? As far as I know, most people always partition
their drives, so I don't know how often this is done..

As a bonus, you don't have to do all the calculations to figure out
> where the partitions should start.  See:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2006-October/002312.h
> tml

That appears to be quite a nice bonus. Better performance with less work ;-)