Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:21:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   StarOffice on FBSD to MySQL connection, problem!

Hello.

We run StarOffice 5.2 on FreeBSD platforms and want to connect
by MyODBC to our MySQL server (also running on FreeBSD). Via
Windows 2000 this is not a great deal, but the Linuxulation
on FreeBSD drove me into many problems.

To get connected to a MySQL server StarOffice needs MyODBC and
MyODBC needs unixODBC/iODBC and unixODBC/iODBC needs several libs
from MySQL to get compiled the correct way and over all, StarOffice
5.2 on FreeBSD needs a Linux-based ODBC. I tried to compile several
parts by hand, due the fact almost all RPMs I could get need more
recent Linux libraries and/or rpm 4 instead of rpm 3 and I can not find
a precompiled MyODB package for the Linuxulator.

Yesterday I tried to compile several parts from source and that worked
fine, but I revealed a strange behaviour of the Linuxulator. I remember
myself that changing current directory  into /compat/linux makes
'uname' reporting Linux and not FreeBSD as the operating system and paths
are relative to /compat/linux's base. That isn't any more the fact.
The problem is, that I can not compile several programs from the MyODBC
suite because config reports an error about a non existent ncurses or
termcap lib. But they are both present in /lib (in Linuxulation).

Well, having Linux binaries for StarOffice is not that important to
ask here, but what's about the wrong uname output?

if there is someone out here running StarOffice 5.2 on FBSD an getting
connected successfuly to an MySQL Server, please help.

O.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)