Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:36:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, spades@galaxynet.org
Subject:   Re: swap space & file: table is full

>  My swap space never goes up, always maintain at 0M?
>
>  # pstat -T
>  879/16424 files
>  0M/1372M swap space
>
>  Also my system auto reboots due to:
>
>  file: table is full

add MAXFILES option to your kernel increase the number of files.

>  panic: vm_map_entry_create: kernel resources exhausted

because you are not swapping, I am guessing that you have lots of
memory in this machine. I would suggest that you increase your
kernel virtual memory (to 2 GB if OS is 4.x and 1 GB is OS is 3.x) , see:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/advanced.html#CHANGE-KERNEL-ADDRESS-SPACE

This will decrease the amount of Virtual Address the user application
can use, because the kernel and user share the 4 GB virtual address space.

On machines with > 2 GB RAM should consider Matt Dillon's
KVM resourse cap patch that he described in freebsd-hackers on
18 Aug 2001. It basically puts in kernel configuration limits
on some of the data structures that are automatically configured
based on the amount of RAM found on the machine at boot time.