Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:31:14 +0900 (JST)
From:      Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        peter@wemm.org
Cc:        imp@bsdimp.com, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The cbus driver for pc98

In article <20030217070601.78E612A89E@canning.wemm.org>
Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> writes:

> I can understand if you do not like to call your cbus hardware "ISA"
> devices, but also consider that on most pc-at hardware there are no "ISA"
> devices either.

These are completely different.  All PC-98 machines don't have "ISA"
devices and buses at all, but a little old PC-AT machines have "ISA"
buses.  And, even if the PC-AT machine does not have "ISA" buses, it
has "PCI-ISA" bridge.

> Things like the floppy controller, keyboard controller,
> counter/timer, rtc, etc etc are all on motherboard busses.  Many are on
> things like X-bus, v-link, or other custom "quick and dirty" host busses.

FYI, NetBSD/pc98 has the "systm" virtual bus.

> I would rather live with #ifdef PC98 than
> to have a duplicate set of isa/* and i386/* files that are nearly identical
> except for include file paths, #ifdef PC98 and s/isa/cbus/.  I'm sure there
> are other ways to improve the situation without having to resort to this
> mass duplication of code.

How?

I have had some questions like "Does PC98 have ISA bus?" or "Why PC98
uses ISA driver?".  To clear these questions and problems, I think
that adding separated cbus driver is better way.

---
TAKAHASHI Yoshihiro <nyan@FreeBSD.org>