Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:14:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        rkw@shark.dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?r

> I guess what Jordan wants is the "entreprenaurial" model. I build something
> and then see if it sells. This is as opposed to the "consultant" model
> where I apply my expertise to assist the client in reaching their goals.

Well said.

> I'm unwilling to do this project on a strictly speculative basis because it
> is NOT a simple project and I am sure to be able to retire on the
> "profits".

That's the only basis you have.  The constraints you have is that it has
to work at least as well as the current system and *NOT* break.  And,
*all* of the developers do things that aren't simple and I doubt any of
us make any 'profit' by doing the work except for the occasional stroke
of the ego which is often trashed by others users.

Provide the product 'first', since the attempt to check out the market
has proven to give you and us grief. :)

Nate