Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 02:20:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard Glidden <richard@glidden.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Locate database not finding all files accessible by nobody

I recently noticed that the 'locate' command on my machine is no longer
finding all the files that are accessible by the user 'nobody' like it
should.  I've tried running /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate as root to
rebuild the database, but I get the same results.  If I su to 'nobody' and
run 'find' from the root directory, it returns all the files that I would
expect to be in the locate database.  Running /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
as root builds a complete database, but it includes files that aren't
publically accessible and shouldn't be included.

The locate database that's built by the 310.locate script seems to include
all the files up to the last file in the last user's home directory, but
not /kernel or anything after it (when you do a depth-first search in
alphabetical order).

ie: 'locate home' shows files up to '/home/zzz/zzz.txt' and 'locate boot'
finds the files in /boot, but 'locate kernel', or 'locate usr' finds
nothing.

I'm running 4.5-RELEASE-p2.  I've recently rebuilt and reinstalled the
world, but it has not solved the problem.  I know it was working on
4.4-RELEASE, but that was a long time ago, and too many things have
changed since then for me to figure out exactly when it broke.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Richard Glidden
  richard@glidden.org