Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 1997 19:30:07 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca (Michael Richards)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux

At 12.13 02/09/97 -0300, you wrote:
>Hi!

Hi, I have a thinkpad 365xd too (for a little time yet, I am waiting a ti
6160...)
I installed both 2.2-release and 3.0 snapshot of the early June without any
problem at all...

>I have a laptop (ThinkPad 365XD) that is preloaded with Win'95 and Linux.

Strange, with Linux too ????

>Here are some problems:
>X does not work in 800X600 with the ThinkPad Cyber9320 graphics. The screen
>goes white when you try to change to text mode.

I am able to use Xfree3.2 at 800x600x256 without any problem, I can send my
Xfree config file ...

>What are the chances that I can upgrade to freeBSD without too many
>problems? All I really want is a unix laptop system that works with our DHCP
>implementation and 800x600 graphics.

800x600 is ok, DHCP I don't know, even if I use Thinkpad with an 3com
3c589c (pcmcia)

>I looked through all of the netscape site and I did not see anthing on
>freebsd Netscape. Is there really any good reason to abandon Linux for
>FreeBSD?

A FreeBSD version is on the ftp site of Netscape , v4.02b7

>I like Ext2 and I think UFS is kinda old and clunky. What makes BSD any
>better than linux besides security issues?

I have tried both Linux and FreeBSD, but the second is in my humble opinion
better in every aspect.

Regards...
Gianmarco
"Unix expert since yesterday"