Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:46:28 -0700
From:      Cory Vokey <coryv@messagingdirect.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvs build with GSSAPI

Hi all, FYI - after many sleepless nights, I've finally managed
to get a successful build of cvs with GSSAPI support on
FreeBSD.  If anyone is interested, I've documented the steps
below:

- install /usr/ports/security/krb5 into a directory other
then /usr or /usr/local.  I used /usr/local/kerberos.

- install the latest cvs-1.11.4 as below:

        ./configure --enable-encryption --with-gssapi=/usr/local/kerberos

        edit src/client.c and add the following:

            #include "gssapi/gssapi.h"
            #include "gssapi/gssapi_krb5.h"
            #include "gssapi/gssapi_generic.h"

               comment out #include "xgssapi"

        make & make install

- Now when you run ldd /usr/bin/cvs you'll see libkrb5.so linked in both
/usr/lib and /usr/local/kerberos/lib.  Remove /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.
 You'll get
a symbol error in /usr/lib/libkrb5.so if you keep it in both places.

- add a principal for cvs/hostname@realmname
- export you krb5.keytab file ( ktadd cvs/hostname@realmname )
- edit inetd.conf and uncomment cvspserver.
- kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

- Your good to go!

Also, building GSSAPI into cvs on Linux was very easy.  cvs just linked
against /usr/kerberos/lib automatically, you don't have to build the
libs from
MIT.

Enjoy!

Cory Vokey