Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 11:24:40 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [linux-security] Things NOT to put in root's crontab (fwd)

<<On Wed, 22 May 1996 08:53:31 +0200 (MET DST), Guido van Rooij <Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com> said:

>> I think it doesn't.
>>
>> Our rm removes links, not files pointed to by links.  So:
>>
>> cd /tmp
>> ln -s /etc/passwd thing
>> rm thing

> Besides, our find contains a -type, which also does not find symlinks (
> as long as type is not l). Furthermore, the find is commented out
> by default stating it is not secure.

Everyone seems to be completely missing the point!  The exploit
described takes advantage of a race condtion inherent in any sort of
`find -exec' operation.  To put it simply:

	Script				Attacker

					1) create foo/bar/baz
	2) execute find on foo
	3) locate foo/bar/baz
	4) fork
					5) move foo/bar to foo/bletch
					6) ln -s /etc foo/bar
	7) exec rm -f foo/bar/baz
	   oops, /etc/baz is now gone!

This is a problem in /etc/*ly, because they run in multiuser mode.  It
is not a problem for /etc/rc.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.