Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:50:59 +0000
From:      Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
To:        bart <bart@convex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig description

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:07:30 +0500
bart <bart@convex.ru> wrote:

> Hello,
Hi Alex.

> previous patches had problem with quagga/zebra.
> here are set of patches for 5.4 that work fine.
> I also have patch for quagga to show interface descriptions
> in "sh int" command

I like this fearure a lot. It makes a nice "addon" to the ifconfig
command the same way changing name of devices with ifconfig does.

A differrent approach would be to make your shell read the device
config from say an XML file and display info like device name stored
in that file.
But that would require and "rc.d/" file to read the XML info and set
up devices accordingly. It's more of a custom thing the same way as
quagga's shell is.

My question is, did you get any response from FreeBSD commiters and
is there a chance to have that change commited to FreeBSD's source tree?

Cheers,
Marcin.